Iran Rejects Marco Rubio’s Nuclear Remarks, Says Peaceful Nuclear Programme Is Its ‘Inalienable Right’
The Iranian Embassy in New Delhi on Sunday strongly responded to recent remarks made by visiting US Secretary of State Marco Rubio regarding Iran’s nuclear programme, asserting that the peaceful use of nuclear science and technology is a legitimate and internationally recognised right of the Iranian people.
In a sharply worded statement, the embassy said Iran would never surrender what it described as its lawful right to pursue peaceful nuclear activities under international regulations.
The response came a day after Rubio stated that Iran could never be allowed to possess nuclear weapons and must hand over its stockpile of highly enriched uranium as part of any future agreement.
Speaking on the sidelines of an official reception in New Delhi on Saturday evening, Rubio indicated that diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran were still underway and that some progress had been made in ongoing negotiations.
“There’s been some progress made… Even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done,” Rubio said while referring to talks involving the United States, Iran and regional stakeholders.
He added that the issue would have to be resolved “one way or the other,” echoing the position of US President Donald Trump.
Rubio also reiterated Washington’s long-standing stance that Iran must never acquire nuclear weapons capability.
In addition, he called for the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz without restrictions and insisted that Tehran should transfer its highly enriched uranium as part of a broader settlement framework.
Reacting to these comments, the Iranian Embassy issued an official statement on Sunday morning rejecting the US position and defending Iran’s nuclear programme.
The embassy stressed that Iran remains a committed signatory to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) and has repeatedly maintained that its nuclear activities are entirely peaceful in nature.
The statement further emphasised that Iran’s nuclear facilities continue to operate under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the global body responsible for monitoring nuclear programmes and ensuring compliance with international safeguards.
According to the embassy, the IAEA has so far neither observed nor reported any diversion of Iran’s nuclear programme toward military purposes.
Tehran argued that this demonstrates its continued adherence to international obligations and peaceful nuclear commitments.
“Iran considers the peaceful use of nuclear science and technology to be the legitimate and inalienable right of its people,” the embassy stated, adding that the country would “never relinquish this lawful and internationally recognised right.”
The statement also addressed growing concerns surrounding tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and the impact of sanctions on global energy markets.
Iran described itself as one of the world’s major energy exporters and said it has consistently been willing to provide oil and energy resources to countries across the world, including India.
However, the embassy accused the United States of destabilising global energy markets through sanctions imposed on Iranian oil exports.
According to Tehran, these sanctions are “unlawful and unjust” and violate both international law and the principles of the United Nations Charter.
Iran argued that the restrictions on its oil sector are part of a much broader pattern of political and economic pressure exerted by Washington over the last four decades.
The embassy claimed that these measures have unfairly targeted the Iranian people and disrupted normal economic relations.
In its statement, Tehran also blamed the United States and Israel for increasing instability in the region, particularly around key maritime routes such as the Strait of Hormuz.
It alleged that military actions and what it described as “provocative and adventurist policies” by the US and the “Zionist regime” were the real factors threatening maritime security and the safe movement of vessels.
The embassy further accused Washington and Tel Aviv of being among the main forces driving the escalation of global security tensions and energy-related crises in the region.
Meanwhile, President Donald Trump suggested on social media on Saturday that negotiations involving the US, Iran and regional powers were nearing completion.
Trump claimed that a broad agreement had “largely been negotiated,” although he noted that final details were still being worked out.
According to Trump, the proposed deal is expected to include provisions related to the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, a strategically vital shipping route for global oil supplies.
He added that further details of the agreement would be announced soon.

