latest NewsWorld

Iran Warns US of ‘More Crushing’ Response as Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir Holds High-Level Talks in Tehran

Iran’s top nuclear negotiator and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf on Saturday issued a stern warning to the United States, saying that any renewed military action against Tehran would provoke a far more severe response than before.

His remarks came during a series of high-level meetings in Tehran with Asim Munir, who is playing an increasingly important diplomatic role in efforts to revive stalled US-Iran negotiations.

According to Iranian state media and Pakistan’s military media wing ISPR, Munir met several senior Iranian leaders during his visit, including Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Qalibaf himself.

This marks Munir’s second visit to Tehran in just over five weeks, underlining Pakistan’s growing role as a back-channel mediator between Tehran and Washington.

The visit comes against the backdrop of heightened tensions in the region, nearly three months after the United States and Israel launched coordinated military strikes on Iran on February 28.

Reports suggesting that the Trump administration may be preparing another round of attacks have further increased fears of renewed conflict in the Middle East.

During his meeting with Munir, Qalibaf sharply criticised Washington’s approach, accusing the US of undermining diplomatic efforts while simultaneously pushing for negotiations.

Referring to the collapse of the Pakistan-brokered ceasefire earlier this year, he alleged that the United States had violated commitments made during ongoing talks.

“We were in a ceasefire that you brokered when the United States broke its word, imposed a naval blockade, and now it is looking to lift it,” Qalibaf was quoted as saying by Iran’s Mehr News Agency.

The Iranian leader stressed that while military officials understand the value of peace, they would never compromise on national sovereignty or dignity. He also warned that Iran had used the ceasefire period to regroup and strengthen its military preparedness.

“If Trump acts foolishly and restarts the war, it will certainly be more crushing and bitter for America than the first day of the war,” Qalibaf said, signalling Tehran’s readiness for a stronger retaliation if hostilities resume.

Field Marshal Asim Munir, meanwhile, adopted a more measured tone during the discussions. According to Iranian accounts of the meeting, the Pakistani Army chief expressed goodwill towards Iran and emphasised the importance of honesty and direct communication between military leaders.

“You and I are both soldiers of our nations, and soldiers speak without stuttering and with honesty,” Munir reportedly told Qalibaf.

He also praised Iran’s leadership, saying he was pleased the country was being guided by “intelligent people with high vision” during a sensitive period.

Munir was welcomed in Tehran by Iran’s Interior Minister, Eskandar Momeni. Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, who is considered close to Munir, was already present in the Iranian capital and had been meeting senior Iranian officials before the army chief’s arrival.

This latest visit is Munir’s second trip to Iran since the conflict escalated earlier this year. In mid-April, he had travelled to Tehran alongside Naqvi and held discussions with Iranian political and military leadership, including senior commander Major General Ali Abdollahi.

Those earlier meetings laid the groundwork for the Islamabad Talks held on April 11 and 12 — the first direct negotiations between the United States and Iran since the 1979 Iranian Revolution.

The talks were led on the American side by US Vice President JD Vance.

Although the negotiations did not produce a breakthrough agreement, they were viewed as an important diplomatic opening.

Major disagreements reportedly remained over Iran’s nuclear programme and control of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday acknowledged Pakistan’s mediation efforts, describing them as “admirable”.

He confirmed that Washington remained in continuous contact with Munir regarding the evolving situation.

“There’s been some progress. I wouldn’t exaggerate it, I wouldn’t diminish it. There’s more work to be done,” Rubio told reporters while discussing the diplomatic efforts.

However, the ceasefire brokered on April 8 eventually collapsed within days. On April 13, the United States imposed a naval blockade on Iranian ports along the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz.

According to reports, the US deployed more than 100 military aircraft to monitor and enforce operations in the region.

Tensions escalated further on April 19 when US forces seized the Iranian-flagged cargo ship Touska in the Gulf of Oman, alleging that it was attempting to bypass the blockade.

Iran condemned the operation as “piracy” and responded by tightening restrictions in the Strait of Hormuz.

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) later announced restrictions targeting vessels linked to the US and Israel in the strategic waterway.

Since the Strait of Hormuz handles nearly one-fifth of global oil and energy supplies, disruptions in the region have contributed to energy shortages and rising inflation across several economies, including India and parts of Europe and Asia.

Pakistan has increasingly emerged as a key intermediary in the crisis because it maintains working relations with both Tehran and Washington — a rare diplomatic position in the current geopolitical climate.

The mediation role has significantly elevated Asim Munir’s international profile.

The Pakistani army chief, who was promoted to the rank of Field Marshal following the India-Pakistan military standoff in May 2025, is now believed to be coordinating closely with Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on negotiations involving Iran.

According to Pakistani security sources, the Munir-Sharif leadership team is now pushing for a second round of direct US-Iran talks to be hosted in Islamabad before tensions escalate into another open military confrontation.

Meanwhile, concerns continue to grow in Washington as reports suggest President Donald Trump may be preparing for another round of military strikes against Iran.

Sources familiar with internal planning reportedly told CBS News that while no final decision has been made, several senior US military and intelligence officials have cancelled Memorial Day weekend plans amid rising uncertainty.

Trump himself cancelled a planned visit to his New Jersey golf property and confirmed that he would not attend the wedding of his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., to Bettina Anderson in the Bahamas.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said national security concerns required him to remain in Washington during what he described as an “important period of time.”

(With inputs from agencies)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *