Manipur Hostage Crisis Deepens as Security Forces Launch Rescue Operations Amid Ethnic Tensions
Security forces in Manipur on Sunday launched a major operation to rescue civilians allegedly being held hostage amid escalating tensions between Kuki and Naga groups.
Families of the missing persons, particularly from the Taphou Kuki community, made emotional appeals for the safe return of their loved ones as uncertainty and fear continue to grip the violence-hit region.
Although there has been no official confirmation regarding the exact number of captives, Kuki organisations claim that 14 members of their community are currently being held by Naga groups.
On the other hand, Naga organisations have alleged that six of their civilians remain in the custody of Kuki armed groups.
A senior security official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said rescue efforts are already underway.
According to the official, security agencies are trying to trace the missing civilians from both communities and ensure their safe release at the earliest possible time.
The latest hostage crisis reportedly began on May 13 after four civilians, including three church leaders, were killed in separate incidents in Kangpokpi and Noney districts.
The victims included senior leaders associated with the Thadou Baptist Association as well as a Naga civilian, triggering fresh tensions between the communities.
Following the violence, Manipur Home Minister Govindas Konthujam stated that more than 28 individuals from both the Kuki and Naga communities had been taken captive by rival groups.
While 14 people from each side were reportedly released on May 15, several others are still said to be missing.The
Kuki organisation Young Kuki alleged in a statement that among the 14 Kuki civilians still being held are three students and a differently-abled man suffering from muscular dystrophy, who reportedly has a 38 per cent disability.
The organisation said the Kuki community has endured continuous hardship since ethnic violence erupted in Manipur in May 2023.
According to the statement, students have been among the worst affected, with many losing valuable academic years while families continue to battle financial stress, emotional trauma, and uncertainty about the future.
Meanwhile, relatives of the missing hostages from the Taphou Kuki community issued a heartfelt appeal urging authorities and community leaders to secure the immediate release of their family members.
In a letter signed by concerned relatives, the families said that 13 of the missing individuals belong to Taphou Kuki village, while one is from Hengbung village.
The families said many of those being held have no connection to the ongoing conflict and may be struggling with deteriorating health, emotional trauma, and fear.
They described the situation as unbearable, saying parents, children, and relatives are living in constant anxiety while praying for the safe return of their loved ones.
“Our boys are not activists or combatants. They have nothing to do with the wider conflict or political tensions surrounding the region,” the families stated in the appeal.
The United Naga Council, one of the apex Naga organisations, has also alleged that six Naga civilians are still being held captive by Kuki armed groups.
On Saturday, several Naga organisations, along with the Coordinating Committee on Manipur Integrity,y staged a protest demonstration at Kanglatongbi in Imphal West district, demanding the immediate and safe release of the missing civilians.
According to Naga groups, 20 Naga civilians were allegedly abducted from Leilon Vaiphei village after the May 13 ambush incident in Kangpokpi district. While 14 of them were reportedly freed, six individuals are still unaccounted for.
In a separate development, traffic movement along National Highway-2 in Senapati district remains severely disrupted following a shutdown called by Kuki Inpi Manipur, the apex body of the Kuki community.
The protest was announced after the killing of the church leaders earlier this month.
As a result of the blockade, several trucks, passenger buses, and private vehicles remain stranded between Khongnem and T Khullen areas in Senapati district.
Passengers, including women, elderly people, and children, are reportedly facing acute shortages of food, drinking water, and sanitation facilities.
In a video appeal circulating online, stranded travellers urged the Manipur government to ensure their safe passage through the affected areas.
One woman passenger, who had travelled to Guwahati for her two-year-old son’s medical treatment, said the blockade was worsening her child’s condition and appealed for immediate security assistance so they could safely return home.
Senapati district is predominantly inhabited by Naga communities, while Kangpokpi district, located on the route to Imphal, is largely dominated by Kuki populations.
The geographical divide has further complicated movement and heightened tensions in the already volatile region.

