Delhi Police Tells Supreme Court 2,873 Protesters Identified Through Facial Recognition Had Criminal Records
Police deny blanket surveillance at Jantar Mantar, saying facial-recognition technology was used to match people against existing criminal databases and that field verification was required before action.
Delhi Police tells the Supreme Court that facial recognition at the Jantar Mantar protests identified 2,873 people with criminal records, while denying indiscriminate surveillance of protesters.
New Delhi: Delhi Police has told the Supreme Court that its use of facial-recognition technology during last month’s Jantar Mantar protests was aimed at identifying people with serious criminal histories, not at building a database of everyone who attended the demonstration.
In a counter-affidavit filed before the Supreme Court, the police said its system matched faces against criminal records already held in official databases and identified 2,873 people with previous criminal cases.
The disclosure has emerged amid petitions before the court challenging alleged excessive use of force during the protests and raising concerns over police surveillance.
According to the police, the 2,873 matches comprised 2,402 people identified through the Crime Kundli database and another 471 whose details matched police dossier records.
The department said 92 of those identified had been involved in more than 10 cases, while 47 of them were classified as history-sheeters.
The police said the previous cases linked to the identified individuals included offences such as murder, attempted murder, robbery, dacoity, rape, crimes against children under the POCSO law, kidnapping, snatching, offences involving weapons and narcotics-related cases.
However, the police maintained that a facial-recognition match was not, by itself, sufficient to trigger police action.
It said officers were required to conduct verification on the ground to establish whether a person identified through the system had actually been present at the protest site.
The explanation was offered in response to allegations that the technology amounted to indiscriminate surveillance of students and other demonstrators.
The police rejected that contention, saying the system was not designed to automatically create profiles of everyone present at Jantar Mantar.
The department also disputed suggestions that protesters’ Aadhaar details were being used to summon them or that biometric information collected during the exercise was being transferred or sold to private companies.
According to the police, the relevant criminal records were already available in police databases, and no one was summoned merely based on an Aadhaar document.
The police further argued that restricting the technology to people with serious criminal antecedents was intended to help maintain public order while allowing peaceful demonstrators to remain outside the scope of criminal investigation.
The affidavit places the technology within a wider police account of what happened around the protest site.
The department said several incidents of crime were reported in the surrounding area between July 20 and July 26, including seven vehicle thefts, 67 other theft cases and 123 missing or lost-item reports.
Police used these incidents to support their contention that criminal and anti-social elements had also been present around the demonstration.
The department also told the court that the events surrounding the protest had been recorded through multiple sources, including CCTV systems, official video recordings, body-worn cameras, wireless communication logs, daily diary entries, intelligence reports, crowd-control plans and medical documentation.
According to the affidavit, police also possess video material that allegedly shows protesters attacking security personnel, damaging government property and engaging in violence.
The material, it said, has been preserved as part of the investigation.
The facial-recognition issue is now one of the significant points in the Supreme Court proceedings arising from the Jantar Mantar protests.
The petitioners have questioned the manner in which the police handled the demonstrations, including allegations concerning excessive force and surveillance.
Delhi Police, meanwhile, has presented its technology deployment as a preventive policing measure rather than a mechanism for monitoring ordinary protesters.
The dispute now places two competing concerns before the court: the police argument that modern identification tools can help locate people with serious criminal backgrounds during large gatherings, and the broader concern over how facial-recognition technology should be used when citizens assemble to exercise their right to protest.
The Supreme Court’s proceedings will determine how these competing claims are assessed in the context of the July demonstrations.
जंतर-मंतर प्रदर्शन पर दिल्ली पुलिस का सुप्रीम कोर्ट में जवाब, 2,873 लोगों की पहचान का दावा
फेस रिकग्निशन पर दिल्ली पुलिस का सुप्रीम कोर्ट में जवाब
पुलिस ने कहा कि फेस रिकग्निशन सिस्टम से पुराने गंभीर आपराधिक मामलों वाले लोगों की पहचान की गई; शांतिपूर्ण प्रदर्शनकारियों की सामूहिक निगरानी के आरोपों से किया इनकार।
हिंदी रिपोर्ट
नई दिल्ली: जंतर-मंतर पर पिछले महीने हुए छात्र प्रदर्शन के दौरान फेस रिकग्निशन तकनीक के इस्तेमाल को लेकर उठे सवालों पर दिल्ली पुलिस ने सुप्रीम कोर्ट में अपना पक्ष रखा है।
पुलिस ने सामूहिक निगरानी के आरोपों को खारिज करते हुए कहा है कि तकनीक का इस्तेमाल वहां मौजूद हर व्यक्ति की पहचान दर्ज करने के लिए नहीं, बल्कि गंभीर आपराधिक मामलों में पहले से दर्ज लोगों की पहचान करने के लिए किया गया था।
सुप्रीम कोर्ट में दाखिल जवाबी हलफनामे के मुताबिक, पुलिस के फेस रिकग्निशन सिस्टम ने प्रदर्शन से जुड़े 2,873 ऐसे लोगों की पहचान की, जिनका आपराधिक रिकॉर्ड पहले से पुलिस के पास मौजूद था।
इनमें 2,402 लोगों की पहचान Crime Kundli डेटाबेस के जरिए और 471 लोगों की पहचान पुलिस के डोजियर रिकॉर्ड से मेल के आधार पर की गई।
पुलिस के अनुसार, इन 2,873 लोगों में 92 ऐसे थे, जिनके खिलाफ 10 से अधिक मामले दर्ज रहे हैं। इनमें से 47 को पुलिस ने हिस्ट्रीशीटर बताया है।
पुलिस ने अदालत को बताया कि इन लोगों के पुराने रिकॉर्ड में हत्या, हत्या के प्रयास, डकैती, लूट, दुष्कर्म, बच्चों के खिलाफ POCSO कानून के तहत अपराध, अपहरण, झपटमारी, हथियार कानून से जुड़े मामले और मादक पदार्थों से संबंधित अपराध शामिल हैं।
हालांकि, पुलिस ने यह भी स्पष्ट किया कि केवल फेस रिकग्निशन सिस्टम में किसी चेहरे का मिलान हो जाना अपने आप में कार्रवाई का आधार नहीं था।
पुलिस के मुताबिक, तकनीकी पहचान के बाद मौके पर भौतिक सत्यापन किया जाना जरूरी था। यह जांच की जाती थी कि जिस व्यक्ति का चेहरा आपराधिक रिकॉर्ड से मेल खा रहा है, वह वास्तव में प्रदर्शन स्थल पर मौजूद था या नहीं।
पुलिस का यह स्पष्टीकरण उन आरोपों के जवाब में आया है, जिनमें प्रदर्शन में शामिल छात्रों और अन्य लोगों की व्यापक निगरानी किए जाने की आशंका जताई गई है।
दिल्ली पुलिस ने कहा कि सिस्टम का उद्देश्य जंतर-मंतर पर मौजूद प्रत्येक व्यक्ति का प्रोफाइल तैयार करना नहीं था।
हलफनामे में पुलिस ने उन दावों को भी गलत बताया कि प्रदर्शनकारियों की बायोमेट्रिक जानकारी बड़े पैमाने पर एकत्र की गई या लोगों को उनके आधार विवरण के आधार पर पूछताछ के लिए बुलाया गया।
पुलिस के अनुसार, गंभीर आपराधिक मामलों वाले व्यक्तियों की जानकारी पहले से ही आधिकारिक पुलिस रिकॉर्ड में उपलब्ध थी।
पुलिस ने यह तर्क भी दिया कि तकनीक के इस्तेमाल का उद्देश्य भीड़ में मौजूद गंभीर आपराधिक पृष्ठभूमि वाले लोगों की पहचान कर कानून-व्यवस्था बनाए रखने में मदद करना था।
विभाग का कहना है कि इससे शांतिपूर्ण प्रदर्शनकारियों और आम जनता की सुरक्षा सुनिश्चित करने में सहायता मिली।
अदालत में दिए जवाब में पुलिस ने प्रदर्शन स्थल और उसके आसपास दर्ज अपराधों का भी उल्लेख किया।
पुलिस के अनुसार, 20 से 26 जुलाई के बीच आसपास के थानों में सात वाहन चोरी, 67 अन्य चोरी के मामले और 123 सामान गुम होने की रिपोर्ट दर्ज की गईं।
पुलिस ने इन घटनाओं का हवाला देते हुए कहा कि प्रदर्शन के आसपास आपराधिक और असामाजिक तत्वों की मौजूदगी की आशंका थी।
इसी संदर्भ में उसने फेस रिकग्निशन सिस्टम को कानून-व्यवस्था बनाए रखने के लिए इस्तेमाल की गई एक तकनीकी व्यवस्था के रूप में पेश किया है।
दिल्ली पुलिस ने सुप्रीम कोर्ट को यह भी बताया कि प्रदर्शन से जुड़े घटनाक्रम का रिकॉर्ड कई स्तरों पर सुरक्षित रखा गया है।
इसमें CCTV फुटेज, आधिकारिक वीडियो, बॉडी-वॉर्न कैमरा रिकॉर्डिंग, वायरलेस संदेश, डेली डायरी एंट्री, खुफिया सूचनाएं, भीड़ प्रबंधन की योजनाएं और मेडिकल रिकॉर्ड शामिल हैं।
पुलिस के मुताबिक, उसके पास ऐसे वीडियो रिकॉर्ड भी मौजूद हैं, जिनमें प्रदर्शनकारियों द्वारा पुलिसकर्मियों और सुरक्षा बलों पर हमला करने, सरकारी संपत्ति को नुकसान पहुंचाने और हिंसा में शामिल होने की घटनाएं दिखाई देती हैं।
इन रिकॉर्डिंग को जांच के लिए सुरक्षित रखा गया है।
जंतर-मंतर मामले में सुप्रीम कोर्ट के सामने अब तकनीक और नागरिक अधिकारों से जुड़े सवाल भी महत्वपूर्ण हो गए हैं।
एक तरफ पुलिस का कहना है कि बड़े प्रदर्शनों में गंभीर आपराधिक रिकॉर्ड वाले लोगों की पहचान के लिए आधुनिक तकनीक का इस्तेमाल कानून-व्यवस्था बनाए रखने में मददगार है।
दूसरी ओर, याचिकाओं में पुलिस कार्रवाई और निगरानी के तरीके को लेकर गंभीर सवाल उठाए गए हैं।
ऐसे में इस मामले की सुनवाई केवल जुलाई के प्रदर्शन के दौरान पुलिस की कार्रवाई तक सीमित नहीं रह सकती।
फेस रिकग्निशन तकनीक के इस्तेमाल, उसके दायरे और प्रदर्शनकारियों के अधिकारों के बीच संतुलन का सवाल भी अदालत के समक्ष महत्वपूर्ण बना हुआ है।
फिलहाल दिल्ली पुलिस ने सुप्रीम कोर्ट के सामने अपना बचाव स्पष्ट कर दिया है।
अब अदालत के समक्ष यह तय होना बाकी है कि प्रदर्शन स्थल पर इस तकनीक के इस्तेमाल और उसके आधार पर की गई पुलिस कार्रवाई को कानूनी कसौटी पर कैसे परखा जाता है।

