latest NewsWorld

Pakistan Train Blast in Quetta Kills at Least 24, BLA Claims Responsibility for Attack

At least 24 people lost their lives, and several others were injured after a powerful explosion struck near a railway track in Pakistan’s Quetta on Sunday, according to reports by Reuters.

The blast caused widespread destruction, damaging train coaches, nearby buildings and vehicles, while triggering panic and chaos in the surrounding area.

The explosion occurred near Chaman Phatak as a train was passing through the region. The force of the blast reportedly derailed parts of the train and sparked a fire, leaving several coaches badly mangled.

Dramatic visuals from the site showed twisted metal, shattered compartments and rescue teams rushing injured passengers away on stretchers as locals searched through the debris for survivors.

Pakistani media outlet ARY News, citing local police officials, reported that the banned militant organisation Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) claimed responsibility for the attack.

According to the report, the group described the explosion as a “fidayee” or suicide operation allegedly aimed at targeting Pakistani military personnel travelling on the train.

Soon after the incident, Shehbaz Sharif condemned the attack and expressed grief over the loss of lives.

In a statement, the Pakistani Prime Minister described the bombing as a “heinous” act of terrorism and extended condolences to the families of those killed.

“I strongly condemn the heinous bomb explosion near Chaman Phatak, Quetta, which has resulted in the tragic loss of innocent lives and left many others injured,” Sharif said.

He further stated that such acts of violence would not weaken the resolve of the Pakistani people. “Such cowardly acts of terrorism cannot weaken the resolve of the people of Pakistan.

We remain steadfast in our determination to eliminate terrorism in all its forms and manifestations,” he added, while expressing solidarity with the people of Balochistan during the difficult time.

According to the Associated Press, more than two dozen people sustained injuries in the blast.

Doctors at hospitals in Quetta reportedly confirmed that over 30 injured victims had been brought in for treatment, with several said to be in critical condition.

AFP, quoting officials, reported that military personnel were among those killed and wounded in the attack.

Reports suggested that the train was carrying army personnel along with their family members and was travelling from Quetta to Peshawar when the explosion took place.

One official told AFP that the blast occurred when an explosive-laden vehicle rammed into one of the train carriages as the train crossed a signal point near Chaman Phatak.

The impact caused a massive explosion that ripped through the coach and the surrounding area.

The explosion also caused extensive damage to nearby infrastructure. Windows of surrounding buildings were shattered, while multiple vehicles parked close to the railway track were destroyed in the blast. Security forces quickly sealed off the area as emergency teams launched rescue and relief operations.

Another official told AFP that many passengers on board the train were travelling ahead of the Eid holiday, which is expected to begin later this week. Families and relatives were reportedly among those caught in the explosion.

Authorities have not yet released a final consolidated death toll, and officials warned that the number of casualties could rise as rescue efforts continue and critically injured victims receive treatment. Investigations into the attack are currently underway.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *